Hours of Operation
Occasionally the archives must close for an hour for staff lunch. If you are traveling to the archives from a distance, please contact us ahead of time so we can ensure that we will be available to assist you.
Not open Weekends, federal and most state holidays, or the week between Christmas and New Years (generally Dec. 23- Jan 4)
The Annie M. Payton Archives and Special Collection welcomes all donations particulary bind about the Mississippi Delta and MVSU related.
Annie M. Payton Archives and Special Collection
The Annie M. Payton Archives and Special Collection is in honor of Dr. Annie M. Payton former Library Director of the James H. White Library from 2001-2009. Dr. Payton began securing materials for the archives in 2008. An informal archives has existed at the MVSU since 1982. Previously located in the Mississippi Room of the old library building, the archives was generally not open to the public. The Annie M. Payton Archives is housed in the newly renovated James H. White Library on the Itta Bena, Mississippi campus. AMPA has a reading room, conference room, processing areas, two office spaces, and temperature and humidity controlled stacks.
Mission Statement/ Vision
AMPA mission is to collect and preserve documents, photographs and all primary sources housed in the collection for the use of students, faculty, staff and the research community. The archive collection provides access and knowledge to those who share in the vision of maintaining the history of the university, the Mississippi Delta, and state of Mississippi in particular.
The vision of the Annie M. Payton Archive is to help promote MVSU’s mission of teaching while documenting the Valley and the surrounding communities preserve and understand their history and legacy.
Deed of Gift Policy
* Gifts to the Annie M. Payton Archives and Special Collections shall be accepted if they provide material that documents the institutional history, life, and culture of the university.
* Acceptance of gifts housed in the Annie M. Payton Archives and Special Collections will be determined by the Archivist and/or Library Director.
* Substantial major gifts to nnie M. Payton Archives and Special Collections [gifts over $5,000.000] will be handled by the Archivist and Library Director along ith University Relations.
* Gifts accepted by the Archivist and/or Library Director will be acknowledged by a Gift Receipt.
*The Archives and Special Collections will provide a secure and stable enviromnent for the materials and will house, organize, describe, and maintain them in accordance with accepted archival principles and procedures to ensure both preservation and accessibility to researchers, faculty, students, and alumni. All archival materials and collections are preserved in a climate-conrolled environment.
* All archival collections will be available to all qualified researchers on equal terms of access. Any restrictions of access requested by the donor for reasons of confidentiality must be noted on the Gift Receipt and agreed to by the Archivist and/or Library Director.
*Materials which are determined to have no permanent value, historical interest, or are surplus to the needs of the Annie M. Payton Archives and Special Collections and Mississippi Valley State University will be discarded, or, returned to the donor, if indicated on the Gift Receipt.
Mississippi Valley State University
MVSU 5232 14000 Hwy 82 W
Itta Bena, Mississippi 38941
We are located on:
Second Floor, Room 202
James Herbert White Library
If you would like to visit the Archives, come through the library's main entrance and proceed to your right where you will see a staircase. Go up to the second level to the second floor and walk through the double doors. Turn right along the wall reference seating area towards the a set of wooden doors with a sign display for Special collections.